The novel Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19) is not a “death sentence and Ghanaians must not panic over surging figures”, the Ghana Medical Association (GMA) has said.

Ghana has so far recorded 566 confirmed cases of the COVID-19 with eight deaths.

But, the medical association entreated Ghanaians not to be scared about recorded cases, and strictly adhere to preventive measures because majority of patients would recover.

Speaking at a day’s media training workshop on the COVID-19 in Sunyani, Dr Alex Egotey, the Bono, Bono East and Ahafo Regional Chairman of the GMA, said 81 percent of COVID-19 patients in Ghana developed “mired” symptoms and they could easily recover.

The workshop, organised by the National Risk Communication and Social Mobilisation Committee of the COVID-19, was attended by 20 Journalists selected from the Ghana Journalists Association (GJA), Ghana Independent Broadcasters Association (GIBA) and Information Service Department (ISD).

Dr Egotey indicated that Ghana had been able to manage and contain the spread of the COVID-19 due to realistic interventions put in place by President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, and praised the government for such interventions.

“We can manage and contain our cases so there is no cause for alarm. What we have to do as Ghanaians is to ensure that we comply with restrictions and adhere to preventive measures,” he said.

Dr Egotey commended the media for their unflinching saupport in the fight against the COVID-19, saying the media had done extremely well in spreading information about preventive measures, and they required commendation and appreciation.

Mr Larry Paa Kwesi Moses, the Bono, Bono East and Ahafo Regional Chairman of the GJA, in a welcoming address, commended the organizers for the training, and expressed the hope that Journalists in the country would abide by GJA code of ethics in reporting on COVID-19.

Source: newsghana.com.gh

Details Of COVID-19 Patient In Western Region Revealed.

The office of the Western Regional Minister in a press release has given details of the first COVID-19 case recorded in the Western Region.

The Western region on sunday, 12th April 2020 recorded it first COVID-19 case as Ghana’s COVID-19 case count rose to 566. The Ghana health service revealed that the case was discovered from the ongoing enhanced surveillance exercise.

According to the press release signed by the Western Regional Minister, Kwabena Okyere Darko-Mensah on Monday 13th April, 2020 the confirmed case involves a Chinese foreign national, who arrived in Ghana on Saturday 21st March, 2020 and was in self-isolation for the mandatory period of 14 days.

The said Chinese is revealed to be one of six Chinese and 32 Ghanaians working at Coastal Quarry located near Anto in the Shama District

Though he showed no symptoms of the virus, the medical team took his sample for testing on 8th April, 2020 to confirm his status; which unfortunately tested positive on the 12th of April, 2020.

The regional minister urged all those who might have come into contact with patient to cooperate with the contact tracing team in order to curtail the spread of the virus.

The press release below;

FROM : HON. REGIONAL MINISTER, WR

TO : ALL MEDIA HOUSES, WR

INFO :  ALL HON. MMDCEs – WR
ALL REGIONAL SECURITY HEADS, WR

REGIONAL DIRECTOR –GHS, WR

DATE    :   13TH APRIL, 2020

SUBJECT : FIRST CONFIRMED CASE OF COVID-19 IN THE WESTERN REGION

The Western Region on Sunday 12th April, 2020 recorded its first confirmed case of COVID-19. The confirmed case in question involves a Chinese foreign national, who arrived in Ghana on Saturday 21st March, 2020 and was in self-isolation for the mandatory period of 14 days.  Though he showed no symptoms of the virus, the medical team took his sample for testing on 8th April, 2020 to confirm his status; which unfortunately tested positive on the 12th of April, 2020.

The said Chinese is one of six (6) Chinese and 32 Ghanaians working at Coastal Quarry located near Anto in the Shama District. A combined team of medical and security personnel is currently at work at the site.
It is understandable but also regrettable that in times like these, there will be lots of misinformation and false news carried through social media which unfortunately filter into the mainstream media.  It is therefore imperative that the facts concerning any confirmed or suspected case are checked from the Health Authorities before putting it in the public domain.

I am therefore appealing to the public to remain calm, and all those who might have come into contact with personnel of this company, to cooperate with the medical team for expedited contact tracing in order to curb the spread of the virus.

From the lesson learnt (i.e. absence of symptoms of the virus and testing positive after the 14-day isolation period), all MMDCEs and Public Health Emergency Management Committees should ensure that all persons released, without testing, after their 14-day self -isolation or mandatory quarantine at the various places are brought back for testing.

I call on our Chiefs and the good people of the Western Region to remain vigilant and to cooperate with the Health and Security Personnel to ensure that the virus does not get out of hand in the Western Region.

I must add that, all recreational centres are out of bounds to the members of the public in furtherance of the ban on social gatherings.

The security agencies should therefore, be hard on this.

Thank you.

HON. KWABENA OKYERE DARKO-MENSAH (MP)
Western Regional Minister

Source:hypercitigh.com

3Music Awards goes Virtually 0n 24th April

3Media Networks, organizers of the 3Music Awards has announced that this year’s main event will now be held virtually on 24th April. This comes in as weeks after the organizers decided to postpone its originally-scheduled date due to the outbreak of the Coronavirus pandemic(COVIID-19).

This will come on live from a location in Ghana’s capital, Accra, to audiences on Joy Prime, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, and JoyPrime TV as well as partner web platforms. With Ghana’s public gathering ban still in force, the new date will see only a core team of production hands and performers staging the show to a global audience.

CEO Sadiq Abdulai Abu, in a series of tweet, wrote,

“IN THE PAST FEW WEEKS FOLLOWING THE POSTPONEMENT OF OUR ANNUAL EVENT AND THE FAN FESTIVAL, WE HAVE BEEN BRAINSTORMING AND EXPLORING POSSIBLE WAYS OF MAKING THE EVENT HAPPEN IF THE SITUATION PERSISTS,” SAYS SADIQ ABDULAI ABU, CEO, 3MEDIA NETWORKS.

“GIVEN THE CURRENT LOCKDOWN AND THE FACT WE ARE DEALING WITH A FLUID SITUATION WITH NO CERTAIN END IN SIGHT, THE TEAM HAS HAD TO CONSIDER ONE OF THE OPTIONS WE BRAINSTORMED ABOUT TO ENSURE THAT DESERVING WINNERS FOR 3MUSIC AWARDS 2020 ARE ANNOUNCED AS WELL AS WRAP OUR TIMELINES FOR 2019/2020 AND BEGIN PREPARING FOR NEXT YEAR.” HE ADDED

The event will feature only three physical performance blocks while others will come through virtually. 3Media Networks say proceeds realized from the final week of voting will be donated to Ghana’s efforts at fighting the COVID-19 outbreak.

Prior to the earlier postponement, the scheme held a successful nominees announcement night attended by leading industry heads. The event was followed by the highly successful 3Music Women’s Brunch, which brought together leading figures in the arts, creative and entertainment industry for a day’s thought leadership and honoring session.

3Music Awards 2020 is presented by 3Media Networks, Joyfm, Hitzfm, JoyPrime TV, Fantasy Entertainment and EnE Ghana and sponsored by Nasco Eletronics with support from Volta Hotel Akosombo and Akosombo Textiles LTD.

story by: Gerrard-Israel Amenyanyo